Our SFA National Campaign Policy establishes the general position of Surfrider Foundation Australia on a number of key issues relating to our mission statement: Please contact [email protected] for a copy.
The policy was developed by applying the Surfrider Foundation Principles to a series of reoccurring threats to our oceans, waves and beaches. The policy is to be used to guide local and national communications and campaigns and should at all times be applied with consideration of the local context of a particular issue. Changes and updates to the policy will be made at the direction of the Surfrider Foundation Australia Board.
SURFRIDER FOUNDATION PRINCIPLES
The Surfrider Foundation has adopted the following principles to guide and govern the activities of the organisation .
- SURFRIDER recognises the biodiversity and ecological integrity of the planet’s coasts are necessary and irreplaceable. SURFRIDER is committed to preserving natural living and non-living diversity and ecological integrity of the coastal environment.
- SURFRIDER promotes the right of low-impact, free and open access to the world’s waves and beaches for all people. SURFRIDER acts to preserve this right of access.
- SURFRIDER is dedicated to enhancing wave-riding opportunities in ways which will not adversely impact nearshore ecosystems.
- SURFRIDER believes environmental education is essential to the future health and well- being of the planet. SURFRIDER seeks to develop and utilise educational materials that are informative, factual, proactive, synergistic and fun.
- SURFRIDER strives to be accurate and nonpartisan in its communications with its members and the general public. In addition, SURFRIDER will express the unique values inherent in wave-riding — individualism, camaraderie, non materialism, and an appreciation for human kind’s historic relations with the Ocean.
- SURFRIDER is a grassroots organisation, effective through the participation of its members. SURFRIDER activities emphasise the value of an involved membership.
- SURFRIDER encourages all commercial enterprises to adopt the Ceres Principles. Their determination to do so will favorably influence SURFRIDER’s willingness to provide support. SURFRIDER will not permit sponsors to divert the Foundation from its mission or projects undertaken.
- SURFRIDER does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex, or national origin for any reason. SURFRIDER promotes the healthy enjoyment of the coastal environment for all people.
- SURFRIDER and its representatives, affiliations and chapters agree to abide by these principles and all rules and regulations governing non-profit organisations.