Surfrider South Coast
The South Coast branch was reinvigorated in 2012 after the Sydney Harbour paddle out was organised by the Boomerang Alliance for the Container Deposit Scheme. Since the branch’s rebirth, we have been concentrating on community beach cleans, drain stencilling, inviting the University of Wollongong to start up its own branch, campaigning against single-use plastics, collaborating with the Wollongong City Council to declare a climate emergency, rolling out the Ocean Friendly campaign to cafes, restaurants and schools, working with international interns on many projects including writing submissions for Bills to go to parliament.
- The South Coast branch has been collaborating with other environmental organisations to achieve environmental victories for our region. In the past 8 years we have:
- Hosted 3 Illawarra Clean Beach Festivals comprising of collaboration from many of the major Australian Marine & Environmental NGOs.
- Collaborated with Wollongong City Council to do Drain Stencilling throughout the region to educate the public
- School Education community outreach
- Founded the Ocean Friendly program
- Founded the GromFest junior Surfing Boardriders Competitions
- Started the first University club in Australia at UOW
- Hosted University of Wollongong interns as part of their degrees
- Hosted International students as part of their degrees
- Participated in Senate Hearings regarding marine issues
- Hosted Paddle Outs to oppose offshore oil drilling
- Collaborated with surfwear brands to invite participation from the public to join in beach cleans
- Sponsored School programs to educate youth on marine conservation
- Organised countless beach cleans
- Organised underwater seabed and beach cleans
- Campaigned extensively for Wollongong City Council to declare a climate emergency
- Currently installing Drain Buddies to prevent pollution from entering Wollongong Harbour.
You love your ocean, your beach and your waves. This is your opportunity to put your money, time and energy where your heart is and support the Surfrider Foundation Australia’s passionate volunteers as they work to protect what you love. Join us and help us achieve our vision of 100% protection of Australia’s coastline.
You love your ocean, your beach, your wave. This is your opportunity to put your money, time and energy where your heart is and support the Surfrider Foundation Australia’s passionate volunteers as they work to protect what you love. All donations are tax deductible.
Our network of 18 branches around the Australia serves as the first response to local threats to coastal communities.They are made up of dedicated volunteers who collaborate on both the local and national level to carry out our mission. Find your local branch below to get involved.